On 10/06/11 00:38, � wrote:

>>> This one looks right.
>>

>> :)
>>
>> For this mail I switched to ISO-8859-15 and I'll add the German umlauts
>> and another German letter called sz to the body:
>
> It seems the problem is limited to the "From:" header field. But I don't
> see any special character in your name so using "utf-8" or "iso-8859-15"
> in your case shouldn't make any difference :-)

And now their *not* black diamonds :-X

>> Has this impact to the header or just to the mail's body?
>
> Dunno. What hapenned between Scott and my posts is very localized, I
> guess... but know I think, I don't know if other mailings list users are
> facing the same problem with my nickname.

I suspect it's only me (I'm special that way) :-(
It's not the "ó" in your name. It's the Sender in the From field, which
gets copied into the body.

Relevant header bits:-
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Camale=F3n?= <-- see the Sender name in the From
field? Somehow the "iso-8859-1 q Camale" section is being stripped out
and the "=F3n" becomes the Sender, which I see in Icedove and the gmail
web interface as a black diamond.

Continued....

>> Those incompatibilities are really annoying.
>
> Yep, but IMO using an "iso-" encoding is a step backwards ;-(
>
> (I selected "iso-8859-1" for this e-mail, let's see if Scott sees any
> difference or still the "black diamond" :-) )
>
>> Is my header still correct translated?
>
> I see it right.
>
>> FWIW my Debian install isn't a German install, I chose
>>
>> Country United Kingdom - en_GB.UTF-8
>> and just Keymap German
>
> System locale should not affect but MUA encoding selection and the e-mail
> servers involved in posting handling, like Debian mailing list server or
> Gmane (the gateway I use). Both make modifications on the posts to add
> the corresponding headers or e-mail footers so the problem can be here.
>
> Greetings,

Thanks for the input Ralf - I didn't actually have a problem with your
(usual) emails - you only got dragged into this as I used a header from
one of your emails as an example of an email that did read fine.

Cheers, I shall have a bit of a sleep on this and pursue it tomorrow.

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.