On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Scott Ferguson <
prettyfly.producti...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/06/11 15:42, Mark Panen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Been googling for this with no success. I have tried init 3 and teinit
> 3 and the runlevel command shows i am at runlevel 3 but X is still on
> and i cannot install a Nvidia driver.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

Go to Virtual Terminal press Ctrl+Alt+F1
Get to super user mode.
enter #init 3
For NVidia driver installation the Xorg should not be kept running. Hence
you
will need to shut it down. enter #kill -9 `pgrep Xorg`
This will kill the Xorg. It may re spawn. In such a case again run the same
command
by switching to the virtual Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1)
Now the Xorg is killed.
You can run the NVidia driver installation now. Cheers :)

--
Regards,
Rohit Vaidya