Luckily, using the live-CD, I was able to download and re-install the
"testing" packages for libc6 and friends and finally get my system working
again.

OK:
1. Unstable can sometimes get broken. I accept that.
2. However, libc6 stuff is so critical that any upgrade posted must be
installable and operational. Some folks might not recover.

OK, now much of the x-windows related packages are dependent on the latest
libc6 stuff on Sid. As I found out, mixing this stuff will crash X.

Since the current packages only partially installed last attempt, I am afraid
to upgrade any of this now. What is the status in reality?