On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Juan Sierra Pons <j...@elsotanillo.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> This can be an I/O and/or CPU problem
> As a workaround you can use:
> - ionice - get/set program io scheduling class and priority  for I/O problem
> - nice - run a program with modified scheduling priority for CPU problem
>
> To adjust scheduling priority of the offending process.

Thanks for help! When I monitor with htop there are no processes above
5% during unpacking/copying.  I have fairly fast hardware ( Intel Core
i7-2600, 8 GB DDR3, samsung 7200 rpm), which shouldn't be the problem
especially since the same hardware  works fine in Funtoo. I suspect
that the problem is that Debian (kernel) configuration is optimized
for servers not desktop. I'm interested to learn which (kernel)
options need to be changed in order to increase performance in Debian.
I have no interesting messages in the logs, is there additional
information I can provide?