On Jun 27, 2011, at 1:53 AM, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:

* Rick Thomas <rbtho...@pobox.com> [2011-06-27 07:16:46 CEST]:
I don't know why this works, but I noticed that one of my machines had a package called "cups-pdf" installed (which hauls in "libpaper- utils" --
more on this later...) and on that machine I got a choice of two
printers (as Greg notes above) one is "lp" (my networked postscript
printer) and one is "pdf" a virtual pdf printer. On that machine, the
default paper size is "Letter".

Out of curiosity, what's the content of your /etc/papersize file in all
your environments, especially the ones that give you the wrong result?

All machines, currently and since installation, have "letter" in /etc/ papersize. It's on my checklist for installations.

The difference between the one and the others is the presence of the "cups-pdf" and "libpaper-utils" packages.

Rick