On (27/09/03 08:26), cr wrote:
> I appreciate that dselect is only part of the install process, albeit the
> largest part timewise if one uses it.  What makes it frustrating is that,
> while working through the huge list of apps in dselect (which isn't the most
> intuitive piece of software ever written  ;)    it's only too easy to
> 'finish' with it prematurely**, at which point the installer asks 'Continue
> Y/n'    with no 'Back' option to re-enter dselect.    It's the combination of
> the two that's so unforgiving.
>
> ( **  The dselect package selection interface is confusing or even alarming
> to a new user.      -    man dselect   :)
>
> I'd say dselect is probably okay for selecting a few apps.    Working through
> an entire install list with it is a daunting task.    As I said, next time
> (if there is a next time :)  I'll just use tasksel, install what it selects,
> and then do the fine tuning afterwards with kpackage.

FWIW - I use dselect exclusively (except for the very occasional apt get
etc.).

I did find it very confusing at first and when installing and
upgrading KDE3.1.   I went around in circles a few times but overall it
is great for understanding what packages are available, what they do
and dealing with dependencies.  I will move to aptitude at some point
but having become familiar with dselect I am comfortable with it.

That said as a newbie, I found it difficult;)

Regards

Clive

--
http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk