On 02/07/11 05:07, T Elcor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am having problems running KDE apps as root. To reproduce:
> 1. Open the KDE Menu Editor
> 2. Setup a new app item (for example, copy and paste Konqueror to Konqueror-2)
> 3. Goto the "Advanced" tab and check the "Run as a different user" checkbox
> 4. Type "root" in the username box
> 5. Save changes
> 6. Run Konqueror-2 from the KDE Kickoff Application Laucher.
>
> Konqueror-2 shows up briefly in the applicaton panel at the bottom but it
> doesn't run.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks
>

> # uname -a
> Linux testbox 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Jan 12 03:40:32 UTC 2011 x86_64
> GNU/Linux

Did you enable sudo during the install?
*By default Squeeze KDE has a "hidden" konqueror as root menu entry....*
did you try that? :-)

Right-click over the KMenu thingie, select "Menu Editor"
Settings => Configure KDE Menu Editor => Misc => Tick "Show hidden
Entries" => OK.
In the left-hand pane expand "System" and then expand "More
Applications" - see the "File Manager Superuser mode" ??
Untick "Hidden entry"
Click on "Save" and close the Menu Editor

KMenu => System => More Applications => File Manager - Superuser Mode

If that fails to produce a password prompt please post the output of:-
$ ls -alL /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

Assumption: you're running Squeeze (from uname -r)??

Cheers

--
“How come people always flip and think they're Jesus?
Why not Buddha?