Using a debian squeeze host for a Virtual Box 4.0.12
  debian sid guest, about a month ago I started having
  invalid magic cookie problems when trying to do
  anything X related from a terminal ....

  I think it started after updating xorg in the sid guest,
  but I don't know that for sure ....

  Outside of the console/terminal everything X-wise
  is ok using gnome as the desktop environment ....

  Following is a script session
  with the prompts edited out
  to try and illustrate the problem ....

  # --------------------------------------------------------------

  $ echo $DISPLAY
  :0.0

  $ echo $XAUTHORITY
  /home/sk/.Xauthority

  $ l .Xauthority
  -rw------- 1 sk sk 0 2011-07-17 15:20 .Xauthority

  $ xauth list

  $ xauth add :0 . `mcookie`

  $ xauth list
  vbsid/unix:0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 0f86d72c52f6ec2871ea910f4ea88f34

  $ xdpyinfo
  Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyxdpyinfo:
  unable to open display ":0.0".

  $ opera
  Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyopera:
  cannot connect to X server :0.0. Error: Connection refused

  I have found similar problems via google
  but haven't been able to sort this out ....

  Any help would be greatly appreciated ....

  This vbox sid guest is not critical for me
  but only for testing ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being