On 26/07/11 23:04, Roger Leigh wrote:
On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 08:52:20PM +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
I'm looking to buy one of these B/W Laser printers:

Samsung ML-2855ND or Brother HL-2270DW.

I have no personal experience with printers of these manufacturers and
have no idea how good their drivers/support are.

Check them in the printer database which may be found here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting

As a rule of thumb, I would advise against buying a printer which
does not support native printing of PostScript, PDF or PCL.  These
are guaranteed to work, and work well, without the need for special
vendor-specific drivers (you might need a PPD file to enable device-
specific features like duplexing and the like, but that's it).  If it
doesn't support one of the above languages, it's most likely a "raster"
device which requires the host to render the page image; this type of
printer has numerous issues, including in many cases the inability to
print a full page at high resolution and/or lose data due to timing
issues and lack of sufficient memory to buffer an entire page.

I've had good experiences with HP LaserJets and currently have a
Kyocera FS-C5025N which does native IPP to talk to CUPS.

I have a good experience with HP LaserJet P2055dn .
Reviews can be read on amazon.

hth,
Jerome

Regards,