On 29/07/11 07:58, Per Carlson wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2011 23:31, "Walter Hurry" <walterhu...@lavabit.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 23:12:32 +0200, Per Carlson wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 09:15, Scott Ferguson
>>> <prettyfly.producti...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

>> Well, there are ways, but the best bet for most will be to download, burn
>> *and checksum* a live CD or a netinst CD, and boot from that.
>
> And what if the system doesn't have an optical drive? Buying an external
> drive shouldn't be the easiest option.

It's not (the easiest option).
There are (at least) four other ways to install Debian without a CD -
and they all take less effort to do than complaining.

Install from an existing OS using a web based installer, debbootstrap,
use a PXE installer, use a USB device

>> But the OP in this particular thread would be well advised to stick to
>> Windoze.

> That's shouldn't stop Debian from being user friendly.

And you are welcome, indeed invited, to change that.
Consider that the purpose of Debian is *not* to soley serve your
"demands", and the nature of Debian is to allow you to "contribute" (not
whine) and modify it to suit your purposes. If you feel like returning
some of the benefits you gain from Debian - then documenting the
processes you learned is a nice idea. (put it on the wiki.debian.org)

> --
> Pelle
> (written on a small screen device)

Debian is a desktop, and it is for Windoof "users". What you clearly
don't understand that those things are a very, very, small part of what
Debian is.

Here's a good starting point:-
http://www.debian.org/intro/about

Cheers

--
“I never got along with my dad.
Kids used to come up to me and say, "My dad can beat up your dad."