It WAS the KernelModeSet ...

The moment I got the i915 driver to properly initialize it's framebuffer
during bootup everything was fine again.

Problem was, that the i915 driver was in the initramfs but did not
correctly initialize the console-framebuffer there. So when bootup got
to initialize the console-framebuffer in the post-initramfs phase the
module had already been loaded.

this page gave the essential hint:
http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009/11/02/howto-enabling-kernel-mode-setting-kms-in-debian-linux-kernel/

greez