On 15 August 2011 21:34, Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 06:28:26 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:
>
> > On 14 August 2011 14:42, Heddle Weaver <weaver2wo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> On 13 August 2011 01:44, Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> After configuring the modem through XP laptop, I can now access the net
> >> through my Debian laptop.
> >> The connection is very glitchy - lots of 'time-outs' - but a definite
> >> improvement.
> >> At least I have access.
> >>
> >> I'll just have to iron out the bugs, now, but it's been quite a
> >> different experience.
> >

> > Here would appear to be the problem.
> > I can access the net.
> > Some sites I have absolutely no problem with and others just time out.
> > This is with bookmarks I've had regular and unimpeded access to in the
> > past.
>
> Timeouts for "some" sites may require more debugging. A site can be
> having any problem or your ISP may be having a routing issue with that
> specific server... hard to tell what can be happening.

debian.org
Al Jazeera English
Oxford Dictionaries Online
My ISP's home page
Just for a few examples. This is not the connection, because I get other
pages consistently, but these I am unable to gain access to at all over many
attempts.

> If using Firefox, you can just disable ipv6 because some sites become
> painfully slow when this is enabled (about:config → filter by "ipv6" →
> and set "network.dns.disableIPv6" to "true"). After that, restart Firefox/
> Iceweasel.
>
> > And I *still *can't access the modem interface in Debian.
> >
> > So, it's looking like a system glitch still.
>
> This is what puzzles me because I definitely see no (good|logical) reason
> for not getting access to the web interface from Debian. Ethernet is one
> of the most standarized technologies out there so I dunno what can be
> happening with that DSL modem.
>
> Have you tried to get access by telnet ("telnet 192.168.1.254"). Some
> routers do also allow to be managed in this way :-?

weaver@Bandit:~$ su
Password:
Bandit:/home/weaver# telnet 192.168.1.254
Trying 192.168.1.254...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
Bandit:/home/weaver#

The latest hint is this pop-up when the browser is loading:

Unexpected error updating default notary_list from web: [Exception...
"Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
[nsIDataSignatureVerifier.verifyData]"  nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
chrome://perspectives/content/common.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 185"  data:
no]

At this stage, I don't think there's anything wrong with the modem.
Especially when it is considered that:

   - This is another new modem, as an exchange for another new one of the
   same type that I got the same behaviour from;
   - These modems are noted as being a good model;

   - I have been able to get an immediate connection to the modem from
   another laptop with M$'s XP.

I think I have messed up my install inadvertently, in a way that the fact
that it is SID doesn't account for.

Thanks for your attempts.
Regards,

Weaver.