> I used an external USB/eSATA case hooked up via eSATA and then bootet
> GRML. The BIOS did not protect the external drive and I was able to
> transfer the ATA Secure Command via eSATA. I bet it might not work via USB
> tough.
>
> Booted from ubuntu live USB, checked if the internal disk was frozen, yes.
Suspended the system and back on again, not frozen. This hack was mentioned
in http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

> Tough my SSD also reports SECURITY ERASE UNIT, does your HDD have that
> too?
>
> merkaba:~> hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i erase
>                supported: enhanced erase
>        2min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 2min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE
> UNIT.

yes. what exactly does Security erase unit mean?

 supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
        not     frozen
        not     expired: security count
                supported: enhanced erase
        132min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 132min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE
UNIT.

--
Kind regards,
Yudi