Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for the prompt and very comprehensive reply.

There are some questions and comments arising, please:-

   * Since I am working from a partimage backup of the Debian system
     partition (S.O.E. that can be transferred from one machine to
     another in case of emergency), it is not a problem to restore that
     and start again, if you think that would be the best course and
     then check the extra packages, circular dependencies and lint
     etc..  I presume that all that would be done BEFORE adding the
     DVD's to /etc/apt/sources.list.
   * The full distro. set, is as a result of "old habits die hard"  ;-) :-
         o  From my old days in the industry working on DEC PDP's
           (RSX/RT11/RSTS) & VAX's (VMS) and even the bad old days when
           Novell Netware came on 5.15" 'floppy disks' - you just did
           NOT start doing ANYTHING to the OS until you had the full
           distro in your hand, in front of the machine
         o  From days when we did not have any internet connectivity at
           home
         o Proprietary Ethernet controllers that do not allow network
           connectivity when SOE's from one machine are partimage
           restored to new hardware

Lastly, while having spent many fruitful and prosperous years in the industry, times and circumstances change, and I am now just a 'user of infotech' rather than a directly interested party. For this reason, I have not kept up with this LSB and 'dependency based boot system' stuff. I have only recently started to get my head around all the /dev/etc.etc. naming conventions. I am not sure if this is part of this 'dependency based boot system', but when I get told that I have to have something that looks like a hexadecimal version of 'nameinternationaladdresspostcodeandinternationalphonenumber' as my NEW device naming convention, I must admit that the old "acronym phobia" that forced me from the industry in the end, starts to rear its ugly head again and the questions start to arise "why do we want to make life MORE complicated and LESS?". At that point just say NO! Please just give me the /dev/etc.etc. naming convention that I have just managed to get my head around.

Any chance of a link to a "concise primer" / "idiots guide" to LSB and 'dependency based boot system'?

Thank you once again for the prompt and very comprehensive reply.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards

Alex