On 09/15/2011 10:29 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:58:45 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

(...)

This is the first time I've encountered a keyboard that activates the
NumLock when either Shift key is depressed. So, when I press Shift-End,
instead of selecting text to the end of the line, the numeral "1" is
entered!

(...)

It turns out that I was lying when I said the above. I didn't *think* that I was lying, but I was. (I'll explain at the bottom.)

;-)

I've been doing some experimenting since I made my whining post, and I learned a little something.

This behavior is by default different between the Windows systems and the GNU/Linux systems I have available to me here.

K360 connected to Windows system with NumLock OFF: Holding either Shift key while pressing numeric keypad keys DOES NOT cause numerals to be printed to screen in a text editor. Instead, one can use the Shift key in combination with the numeric keypad keys to mark or select text -- just as though one were pressing the Shift key while using the non-numeric-keypad arrow, Home, End, PgUp, and PgDn keys.

K360 connected to Linux system with NumLock OFF: Holding either Shift key DOES cause numerals to be printed to the screen. The Shift key in combination with numeric keypad keys can NOT be used for marking text, which is what I'd like to use it for.

Hmmm, weird, indeed.

(just out of curiosity, when num. lock is off, what returns shift-home?)

It returns the numeral 7, if we're talking about the Home key on the numeric keypad.

What it is expected is that with num. lock off, shift-keypad numbers
overrides num. lock off status and prints the number but getting number
one when pressing shift-end is something I would neither expect :-)

I don't think I understand. The End key on the numeric keypad has a numeral 1 in its "upper case" location. With NumLock turned off the Shift-End combination is behaving functionally the way the Shift-Home combination behaves. They both print numerals (different ones, of course) to the screen.

Maybe you can make some comparison of the key you get using "xev", that
is, run xev, put num. lock off and press shift (read the screen) then
press end and see if what you get difference when you do the same but
with num. lock enabled :-?

I can work with that later. In the meantime I've learned by looking at a system running the Gnome DE that there is a setting in gnome-keyboard-properties that lets me switch this function so that the keyboard functions the way I want it to work -- with NumLock in the off condition the Shift key doesn't override and turn on the numbers. In other words, I want the numeric keypad to behave with the shift key depressed exactly as it behaves with the Ctrl key depressed. No numbers, just cursor movement.

I am, however, using Xfce as my DE, and I'm not at all interested in using Gnome. I imagine that, if I work hard enough at it, I'll find a way to change the behavior to suit me in Xfce.

And now for the explanation of the "lying" I was doing (if anyone cares)...

This new keyboard is a compact one -- barely larger than the notebook's keyboard. The non-numeric-keypad Home, End, PgUp, and PgDn keys are located above the numeric keypad instead of between the numeric keypad and the QWERTY section. Not only are they a longer reach from the home position, they are small -- less than half the size of the regular keys on this keyboard. It would really be nice if I could use the ones on the numeric keypad for marking text.

I have been assuming all along that numeric keypad NumLock behavior was the same in Windows and Linux, but I have been using nice, big keyboards since before I switched to Linux. Therefore, I have been using the dedicated Home, End, PgUp, and PgDn keys because they were more convenient to reach on those big keyboards than the numeric keypad ones.

And I have been assuming that nothing had changed between Windows and Linux in behavior of NumLock simply because I haven't been using the numeric keypad for anything but typing numbers. But with this small keyboard, that all changed.

There's that work again -- ASS-ume. They say that it makes an ASS out of U and ME. Well, it didn't do anything to you, but it certainly made an ass of me!

8-)

I'll be a good boy and do my homework to find out how to fix this to suit me.

Thank you so much, Camaleón, for trying to help me. As I'm certain you are aware, some people (Irish men, in particular) are virtually unhelpable. I was assuming that this was a hardware problem. It was. But the problem hardware was not under my fingers, it was between my ears.

Best regards,
Gilbert