> 29/09/2011 17:57, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:45:03 -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>
>> As of yesterday, my testing (current) system has slowed down a whole
>> lot.  I thought it was just the 'net, but that doesn't seem to be the
>> case.  top shows something called plugin-containe (I assume it's
>> actually 'container', but the column's too small for the last letter)
>> using anything from 15-20 %CPU, and so I'm thinking it's the culprit. I
>> could just kill it and see what else breaks :)  But does anyone know who
>> or what owns it, or how I can find out?
>
> Yes, as Brian says is the wrapper for mozilla based plugins:
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/What%20is%20plugin-container
>
> Killing firefox/icewasel should stop it or just exiting from a web page
> that loads the flash player plugin should also reduce the amount of cpu
> cycles that uses.
>
> Greetings,

Hi, if shutting down your browser doesn't change anything, you are
probably hit by the xorg transition. Newer xorg doesn't play nice with
some video drivers (read closed source). I had to downgrade xorg to get
a usable system again... Try to launch glxgears (from package
mesa-utils), if it slows down to only a few fps from time to time
without any huge resources usage peak from any other process, then this
is probably the problem.

Hope it helps.