On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 15:14:11 -0400 (EDT), Brian Sutherland wrote:

> Debian (Squeeze) runs with a blank fstab.  I am not sure exactly where
> the magic is on that but when I upgrade my kernel and use "make-kpkg --initrd"
> to put it all together I lose my swap.  So I know could add it to the fstab
> to make it work but I am wondering what is set different in my kernel that
> is not auto activating it.  Is it a config option?  Something in the initrd?
> I imagine there is a simple answer but my web searches turned up nil.

Brian,

I run custom kernels generated by make-kpkg on an on-going basis,
but I have never run into the scenario you describe.  I definitely
don't recommend running without an /etc/fstab file.  Another file
you should check is /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume.  It should
contain contents something like:

RESUME=UUID=a6948969-2d88-4ec0-93a1-6d2d803ff8b3

where the stuff after the second equal sign is the uuid of the swap
partition which is used for the suspend/resume file.  Most computers
only have one swap partition; so that should be the uuid of the
one and only swap partition.  If the swap partition was reformatted
recently, the uuids won't match.  Chang the file, if necessary,
so that they match.  But in any case you should be
using an /etc/fstab file, and the swap partition should be listed
in it.  Then run "update-initramfs -uk $(uname -r)" to rebuild
your initial RAM file system once you have these files repaired.
Also, the boot loader configuration file should be specifying the
same root partition as is specified in /etc/fstab.

There probably is a kernel configuration option for enabling/disabling
swap file support.  Make sure you have it set properly.  I never
mess with it, but I seem to remember running across it during
kernel configuration.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :