On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 11:45:02PM BST, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> Searching Google and this list archives haven't come up with anything on
> this.
> Running apt-get upgrade, base-files and a number of other packages are being
> held back.  Doing a dist-upgrade or manually upgrading base-files gives me
> this:

Which release are you using? to which release are you trying to update?
What entries do you have in sources.list file(s)?
What do "aptitude safe-upgrade" and "aptitude full-upgrade" say
respectively?

P.S. Please provide more information next time. It'll save us all time
in trying to help you - we're not mind-readers.

Regards,
--
Raf