Installed Squeeze on my laptop and hooked up an external monitor, worked
fine for few days and after a reboot yesterday, there is not output to the
external monitor.
it's got a message on the screen saying to use optimal resolution 1280 x
1024 60Hz.

laptop has an nvidia Gforce 7400 GPU

That's how it's setup. Never has this issue before. I am using the default
video driver installed by Debian. I think it's nouveau.
I tried to check the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
But it's not there.

Why is there no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, then what configuration file is the
X using?

Is Debian using nouveau, how to check what driver is being used?

I tried to reconfigure X by following the instructions from
http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg?action=show&redirect=ConfigureX

steps:

   - Switch to a *console* as root (*not* a terminal emulator in X), then
   run:
   -

   /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop

   -

   cd /etc/X11/

   -

    Xorg -configure

this process created a /root/xorg.conf file. is it supposed to be at that
location?

This did not resolve the issue.
Any suggestions?

--