On 29/10/11 20:17, Hendrik Boom wrote:
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 05:22:39 +0100, Dom wrote:

On 28/10/11 21:12, Hendrik Boom wrote: (snip lots of stuff I can't help
with)

What's my next step?  Presumably it's a permissions problem.

I don't think it's permissions (you did log right out and in again after
adding yourself to the crdom group, right?)

It's hard to see how it could not be a permisions problem, because the
top-level directory on the DVD has no permissions -- neither read, write,
nor execute are allowed to anybody, no matter whether owner, group, or
world.

Ah, my apologies. I missed the permissions of the top level when I read your mail.

Hmm, very odd. Perhaps the umask= option on mount can override this? Unfortunately I am unable to test this myself.

Unless VLC partially runs as root, of course. or completely bypasss the
file systam.

AFAIK it uses normal file system access methods.

--
Dom