kei...@strucktower.com (kei...@strucktower.com on 2011-11-10 19:24
-0800):
> I realize it is not necessary, but if possible I'd like to remove
> evolution.
>
> This is what I have tried so far:
>
> # aptitude unmarkauto gnome-control-center evolution-data-server
> # aptitude unmarkauto libedataserverui1.2-11 capplets-data
> # aptitude unmarkauto evolution-data-server-common
> # aptitude unmarkauto gnome-session gnome-panel gnome-applets
>
> # aptitude -s -R remove --purge evolution-data-server /
>   evolution-data-server-common libedataserverui1.2-11 /
>   gnome-control-center: gnome-panel: gnome-applets: gnome-session:

You cannot remove the data server or evolution libraries, they are tied
into the gnome-panel's clock function. If they had >90% market share,
they would be facing antitrust probes over it ;)

You might be able to fake its presence by using equivs, but there's no
telling whether that will break gnome-panel. Apart from that, removing
the evolution binary is as far as you can go...

Regards,
Arno