On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 11:29:58 -0500 (EST), Marc Shapiro wrote:

> I did do that.  After changing sources.list to point to Squeeze, I ran
> 'apt-get update; apt-eet upgrade' then I updated the kernel to an actual
> Squeeze kernel and updated udev and rebooted.  After that I ran 'apt-get
> upgrade' again and rebooted again.
>
> I am not sure of the timing, but I think it was right after upgrading
> the kernel that my reboot started having issues.  After it mounts the
> root partition, which it does without problems, it complains that it can
> not stat the swap partition, which is on LVM.  If I just press <ENTER>
> to continue, it goes on just fine and initializes the swap and mounts
> all of my other partitions which are also on LVM in the same volume
> group.  Right after mounting all of the partitions that it should, it
> then tries to mount all of my removable drives from /etc/fstab.  All of
> those are are marked noauto, so they should not be getting mounted.
> Since there is nothing there to mount, I get dropped into a shell to fix
> things.  Since none of those drive SHOULD be mounted I just Ctl-D to get
> out and the boot process continues on to the end successfully.
>
> The first issue seems to be a timing issue, as it mentions in the
> release notes.  I have not figured out how to pass the 'rootdelay'
> parameter to the kernel, however.  BTW, I am still using lilo to boot,
> not grub.

I use LILO too.  You may find my LILO web page helpful:

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/lilo.htm

With LILO, you pass kernel boot parameters via the "append" configuration
statement.  There is an example of how to do that on my LILO web page.
After editing /etc/lilo.conf, be sure to re-run LILO.

> The second issue just seems really strange, since all of
> those lines say 'noauto'.

Seems strange to me too.  I never have any problems with "noauto" devices.
(CD-ROM drive, floppy drive, etc.)  Perhaps you could post your /etc/fstab.
I don't use LVM, however; so that's an extra complication in your case.
But they would seem to be unrelated.

> Finally, I did 'apt-get dist-upgrade', which kept me up way too late.  I
> got lots of warnings about lines in /var/lib/dpkg/status having an
> invalid character in it.  These all seem to have been referring to the line
>
>     'Config-Version: 3.1.4_57640_Debian_lenny'
>             or
>         'Version: 3.1.4_57640_Debian_lenny'
>
> I grepped /var/lib/dpkg/status and found quite a few lines referring to
> lenny.  Shouldn't these all have been changed since I did an update on
> Squueze repositories?  Could these be referring to packages that are no
> longer in Squeesze and so still have lenny info?

Hmm.  Never seen any errors like that before.  I changed "lenny" to
"squeeze" in /etc/apt/sources.list, re-ran "aptitude update" (or
"apt-get update") and never had any problems.  Re-examine your
/etc/apt/sources.list file to make sure you didn't miss anything.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :