On Jan 11, 2012, at 10:17 AM, Sthu Deus wrote:

Good time of the day, Patrick.

You worte:
I see this message when running an update:

Installing new version of config file /etc/cron.daily/ntp ...
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `ntp'
overwrites defaults (empty).

Should I be concerned about it?  And, if so, what am I supposed to do
to correct it.

Not answering to Your question, but as mine opinion - if You do not
intend other hosts to be sync-ing time w/ this host, I think You need
the service at all. For sync-ing time from Internet for the host You
can use ntpdate in cron/anacron for example.

One more reason not to use ntpdate: It's no longer supported but the upstream developers of the ntp package. The ntp daemon has been enhanced so that it can now do all the things people used to use ntpdate for. Then to simplify maintenance (no longer have to maintain/ synchronize two code bases for doing the same things) ntpdate has been dropped from future versions of the ntp package.

Rick