On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 05:06:33 -0500 (EST), Panayiotis Karabassis wrote:

> On my desktop, which is running Squeeze, I tried to upgrade some
> packages to their Wheezy version. I have now reverted the upgrade, but I
> am alarmed.
>
> One of the packages was grub2 which was at version
> 1.98+20100804-14+squeeze1 and was upgraded to 1.99-14.
>
> To cut a long story short, I ended with an unbootable system. Grub
> refused to install on the MBR. I do not remember the message exactly,
> but it mentioned that the record was unusually short, and core.img could
> not fit into it. Then it told me that the only option was to use
> blocklists but that was discouraged as unreliable.
>
> What am I going to do when Wheezy becomes stable. This is a new computer.

Yet another grub2 problem!  This is yet another example of why I gave
up on grub2 long ago and switched to lilo!  And I've been glad I did
many, many times!  Here is my lilo web page, in case you're interested:

   http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/lilo.htm

Even if you decide not to switch to lilo, the above web page contains
a lot of background information about the boot process itself, which
you may find educational.  And it also contains a link to a useful
diagnostic utility that will tell you a lot about the capabilities of
your computer's BIOS.  So even if you're determined to stick with grub-pc,
taking a look at the above web page may not be a complete waste of time.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :