Agreed. This command is much better than killall. I have worked with
several unices, and in other versions of Unix (AIX is where I got bitten by
this), killall is the command does just that. It kills all processes, as in
during shutdown of the machine. AIX's killall ignores patterns and just
starts shutting down the machine.

I have used pkill ever since.

A companion command to pkill is pgrep, which finds commands with a pattern,
for example,

pgrep -u root sshd

will list all running sshd processes owned by root (thereby skipping a user
logged in remotely).

--b