at bottom :-

2012/1/22 Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.producti...@gmail.com>:

<snipped>

> # <= means run as root (use sudo if that's how you've configured your
> system)
> $ <= means run as a user
>
> test iso
> $ file SomeDVD.iso
> UDF filesystem data (version 1.5) 'DVDVIDEO
>

> 1. Work out where your DVD player is
>
> # cat /etc/fstab | grep cdrom
> /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>

> 2. Mount your iso file there[*1]
>
> # mount -o loop -t iso9660 /SomeDVD.iso /media/cdrom0
>

> 3. Play it with VLC
>
> $ vlc dvd:///media/cdrom0
>
> NOTES: if using GUI VLC looks at /dev/dvd by default when you select
> "Media" => "Open Disk". Just select "/media/cdrom0"
> We're assuming this disk is not copy protected.
>

> Cheers
>
> --
> Iceweasel/Firefox extensions for finding answers to Debian questions:-
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/Scott_Ferguson/debian/
>
> NOTE: new update available for Debian Buttons
> (New button for querying Debian Developer Package):-
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/debian-buttons/

Dear Scott,
          I can mount .iso filetype dvd's very well. That is NOT the
issue. What I have is that I have downloaded dvd video files and I
want to use that as a virtual drive (like Daemon tools or others do
for windows ).

This are the contents of the video DVD :-

/VIDEO_TS$ ls
VIDEO_TS.BUP  VTS_01_1.VOB  VTS_03_0.IFO  VTS_05_0.BUP  VTS_06_1.VOB
VTS_08_0.IFO  VTS_10_0.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO  VTS_02_0.BUP  VTS_03_1.VOB  VTS_05_0.IFO  VTS_07_0.BUP
VTS_08_1.VOB  VTS_10_0.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB  VTS_02_0.IFO  VTS_04_0.BUP  VTS_05_1.VOB  VTS_07_0.IFO
VTS_09_0.BUP  VTS_10_1.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP  VTS_02_1.VOB  VTS_04_0.IFO  VTS_06_0.BUP  VTS_07_1.VOB
VTS_09_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.IFO  VTS_03_0.BUP  VTS_04_1.VOB  VTS_06_0.IFO  VTS_08_0.BUP
VTS_09_1.VOB

VIDEO_TS$ mediainfo VTS_01_1.VOB
General
Complete name                            : VTS_01_1.VOB
Format                                   : MPEG-PS
File size                                : 612 MiB
Duration                                 : 43mn 39s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 1 959 Kbps
Writing library                          : Created with Nero

Video
ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Default
Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=15
Duration                                 : 43mn 39s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 1 728 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 9 641 Kbps
Width                                    : 352 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.341
Stream size                              : 540 MiB (88%)
Writing library                          : Ahead Nero

Audio
ID                                       : 189 (0xBD)-128 (0x80)
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Format profile                           : Dolby Digital
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Muxing mode                              : DVD-Video
Duration                                 : 43mn 39s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 192 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 60.0 MiB (10%)

Menu

>From the contents it seems it is not encrypted.

My question is simply this -

Let's say the movie is my_super_movie which has a folder VIDEO_TS
which is in Downloads :-

So if I do :-

$ sudo mount -o loop ~/Downloads/my_super_movie/VIDEO_TS/* /mnt/dvd

and then do :-

$ vlc   dvd:///mnt/dvd

Is this good enough or need something more. ?

Btw my /etc/sudoers does have my user as access after giving the root password.

Looking forward for clarity .
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल