On 01/22/12 20:52, Tony Baldwin wrote:
On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 07:55:42PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
In an effort to make my life with wheezy more beautiful/serene and
less silly-looking, I've been exploring ways to personalize the
various screen parts.

The gdm3 login screen by default provides a list of possible users
and their names with a place that looks like it's intended to hold a
picture (or avatar, if you will) of the person.

Here's my gdm login screen:
http://tonybaldwin.me/imgs/myGDMloginscreen.jpg
Definitely possible to customize it.
But, this is on Squeeze, and was done with the GDM Setup
in the Debian menu.
(I don't know for sure where that is in Gnome, since I'm using openbox,
but I would guess
Applications>  System>  Administration>  GDM Setup

How does one set that avatar to something more interesting than the
default shadow head?
same GDM Setup program offers this, as well.

./tony
Well, wheezy uses the gnome3 train-wreck. It doesn't seem to have anything resembling

        Applications>  System>  Administration>  GDM Setup

I've googled til I'm blue in the face, I've guessed based on my googling that I
need to manually edit something in the [greeter] section of
/etc/gdm3/daemon.conf but there doesn't seem to be a human readable explanation
of the available options I could put there and what they do.

Any clues are welcome!

Rick