On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:53:56PM -0500, Scott wrote:
| Greetings:
|
| Can someone familiar with debian and Redhat help me wth these
| configuration questions?:
|
| As one familiar with RH knows, Redhat has may of it's configuration
| files located in /etc/sysconfig.  That favor is gone with debian,
| which is fine, I just need to figure out where everything went.
| Before I spend hours tracking these down, I hoped someone already knew
| and could tell me where the configs are for these items normally used
| in RH's /etc/sysconfig/xxx?:
|
| 1. authconfig - used to turn on/off MD5 passwords

# dpkg-reconfigure -plow passwd

will prompt you (again) for whether or not to enable md5 passwords.
I /think/ answer to that question affects how /etc/login.defs and/or
/etc/pam.d/{login,passwd} are created/modified.

| 2. hwconf - shows what hardware is in place

I don't think there is an equivalent.  What functionality do you need
out of this?  The 'lspci' command will list the PCI devices.  Other
hardware info, as seen by the kernel, can be found in /proc.  There
are probably other sources of information, depending on what you are
looking for.

| 3. init - toggle boot/shotdown text style (color or not)

Debian's init scripts have no color.  If that's all this file does
then there is no equivalent.

| 4. syslog - syslog configuration including syslogd options

/etc/syslog.conf

| I think I found the rest I need.

That's good.

| Thanks as always very much for the time to help.

HTH,
-D

--
Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for;
through the fear of the Lord a man avoids evil.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/