On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:30:39 -0500 (EST), Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I usually run
>
> make-kpkg clean
> make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel-image kernel-headers
>
> headers are often needed.

I only build a headers package if I really need one.  Most of the
time I don't.  That is one of the reasons I use make-kpkg rather
than "make deb-pkg".  With "make deb-pkg", I always get a headers
package, whether I need one or not.  But if I'm using "make-kpkg"
and I really do need a headers package, I find that I need to run
the entire make-kpkg command under fakeroot, like this:

   $ fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version xxx --revision xxx \
   > --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers

I haven't been able to get the kernel_headers target to work with
the --rootcmd fakeroot option.  (Obviously, the "xxx" strings in the
above template command are not meant to be typed literally.)

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :