On 20120129_090739, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

... snip

> There is no difference, at all, between Wheezy and Testing -- They are the
> same physical thing on the Debian repository server's hard disk.  Testing
> is nothing more than a symlink to Wheezy. When updates go into Testing,
-----------------------  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have always been confused about the symlink. Once upon a time, I was
convinced that each release name, like Wheezy, was a symlink to testing and
doing a release involved moving all the files into the directory for stable
and switching the Wheezy symlink to point to stable. This is also what
the Debian article in Wikipedia seems to say. But ... having testing be
the symlnk is, to my mind, a much more reasonable way to implement the
package database and your statement may well be the correct, up-to-date
description of how things are done, Do you know, from observation of the
internals of Debian that it is the way you say. I think there is documentation
still available on the web that is confusing on this issue. IMHO, it should
be the way you say, but Wikipedia says otherwise, and should be corrected.

> they're actually being put into a directory named Wheezy.

Unfortunately, Debian lives in a real world replete with uninformed
opinion. I'm hoping that you can offer some assurance that your
statement is fact, because I really like what you say. What can you
say to reassure me?

--
Paul E Condon
pecon...@mesanetworks.net