How do I get the gnome3 greeter to give me a menu of hosts on the local network who are willing to accept an xdmcp login?

On my "squeeze" machines running gdm, at the login screen there is a drop-down called "Actions" that has one option called "Remote login via xdmcp". When I choose that option, I get a list of hosts on the local network who are willing to accept logins via xdmcp.

But on my "wheeze" machine, first of all there's no "Actions" drop down at all, and I can't find any other way to get the list of xdmcp accepting hosts.

Does anyone know what magic I'm missing? Is there something I can put into one of the files in /etc/gdm3/ that will enable the remote host chooser?

Thanks in advance!

Rick