On 02/27/2012 04:26 AM, Monsieur Louk wrote:
I think you'll find every thing you need in the Debian doc: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_literal_apt_get_literal_literal_apt_cache_literal_vs_literal_aptitude_literal

Quote: The difference between "|safe-upgrade|"/"|upgrade|" and "|full-upgrade|"/"|dist-upgrade|" only appears when new versions of packages stand in different dependency relationships from old versions of those packages. The "|aptitude safe-upgrade|" command does not install new packages nor remove installed packages.

HTH
Merci, Monsieur,

Thanks for your reply. I had done some googling at the debian site and found info on the differences as you state. I have to admit I am not sure which is the best way to update/upgrade my system. I had read a few years ago that "aptitude" was the recommended way as it supposedly handles dependencies better so have always used it. But also "knew" about the statement about it not removing packages, etc. Actually I have seen it do some of that but they may be non-free and contrib. I don't know. I do know that there are "files" removed and new ones installed but then that is NOT a full package as in GNOME going from 2.30.x to Gnome 3.x.

Appreciate the replies. Have received one comment to personal addy that Gnome 3 is buggy and not to use it so am going to check around and see what info I can find about it before I do an apt-get safe-upgrade.

Again, thanks to you and Shaun for the help. Much appreciated. Regards and Cheers to all. You are all a bunch of info to us all.

Whit