I am going to clearly remark as much as possible for the benefit of anyone
who may find this page later.  See my inline replies/comments.....

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clow...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 05:53, Darren Crotchett <deb...@crotchett.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Can you elaborate on what you mean by "it just needs to be setup
> correctly"?
> > I'm going to be working on this issue today.  Before I install the
> > applications that Raffaele recommended, I want to give Pulseaudio one
> more
> > chance because I would rather figure out the problem than to circumvent
> it.
> > OTOH, I don't want to fight a losing battle either.
>
> So, I originally setup mine based on the PA wiki's "Perfect Setup".
> It is rather
> extensive and a lot of the stuff in there is from a time when there
> was less support
> for PA.
>
> Here are the essentials:
> Edit /etc/asound.conf (for all users) or ~/.asoundrc (per-user)
> I have only these two entries in mine:

Neither of these files existed.  I didn't care about a per-user setting, so
I just created an /etc/asound.conf and added the recommended lines below.

> pcm.!default {
>    type pulse
> }
> ctl.!default {
>    type pulse
> }
>

> Make sure you are in the groups "audio", "pulse-access" and "pulse-rt"

I used vigr and vigr -s to edit the groups.  My user was already in
"audio". I added it to "pulse-access" group.  And, I did not have a
pulse-rt group.  I did not create the group.

> Make sure that Pulse is being run automatically at startup (it should be,
> I just remember when it was not, and I had to set it up myself).

It was already starting automatically with /etc/init.d/pulseaudio

> ---
>
> The setting of the alsa default to pulse should make most things work,
> but personally I set a number of things to PA explicitly. At least some of
> these
> used to be required (they did not automatically use pulse and avoided the
> alsa default or similar). Nowadays that may not be the case, I don't know.
> Also they may have a PA driver that is different from the alsa driver, and
> may work better than redirected alsa.
>
> in ~/.mplayer/config: ao = pulse
>
> in ~/.xine/config: audio.driver:pulseaudio
>
> in ~/.vlcrc or ~/.config/vlc/vlcrc: aout=pulse
>
> in /etc/libao.conf: default_driver=pulse

I did not have the mplayer or xine config files above files.  So, I created
them and add the recommended lines.  I had the ~/.config/vlc/vlcrc.  The
aout directive was present, but was commented out and had no value.  So, I
set it.  I changed the /etc/libao.conf from default_driver=alsa to
default_driver=pulse.

> for gstreamer:
> gconftool-2 -t string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink
> pulsesink
> gconftool-2 -t string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosrc
> pulsesrc
> gconftool-2 -t string --set
> /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink pulsesink
> gconftool-2 -t string --set
> /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/chataudiosink pulsesink

I ran the gconftool-2 commands.

> KDE's Phonon uses vlc, mplayer or gstreamer, so the above should cover
> that as well
>
> SDL (used for some games) can be set to explicitly use PA with:
> export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pulse
> (needs to be done in a startup script like ~/.bashrc to be permanent)

I added the export to the .bashrc.  I also executed it at the command line
so I didn't have to log out and back in.

I restarted pulseaudio with: /etc/init.d/pulseaudio restart

This did not seem to work.  So, I rebooted.  This seems to work.  I was
able to play a movie with sound on VLC, Minecraft and Skype all at once
without breaking anything.

> As far as I remember that is about it. As I said, setting those explicitly
> may not be needed anymore, I just don't know.
>

> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

Thank you so much for sticking with me.  I appreciate everyone's comments.
 I hope that someone with find this thread useful in the future.