On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:48:03 +0100, Bruno Costacurta wrote:

>>> I installed Debian Squeeze on a multi-boot PC where Ubuntu is the
>>> first and bootable distro.
>> Are you chainloading GRUB2s or are you loading Debian directly from
>> Ubuntu's own GRUB2 version?
>
> I boot direclt from the Ubuntu's own GRUB2 version.

Mmm... so you did not install GRUB2 when you installed Debian, right?

>>> Using GRUB2, the options 'nosplash debug --verbose' are used, but
>>> Debian freezes silently.
>>> How to make boot verbose to see what happen ?
> (...)
>> The changes you have done should be enough.
>
> However other options were also tried without any result.

Because the hang occurs at a very early stage, I'd say.

>> In what stage is the system hanging at? What can you see in the screen?
>> Can you at least reach the GRUB2 boot menu? I would try to load Debian
>> from SuperGrub2Disk or any other LiveCD just to test if it hangs at the
>> same point.
>
> Yes, the GRUB2 menu is reached (in fact, it's used to boot the other
> system on same PC). The Debian system hangs direcly. Nothing is
> displayed.

A complete black screen, then?

Can you copy/paste the GRUB2 stanza for your Debian menu entry?

> Yes, a LiveCD Debian 6 works fine (however it was a i386, the installed
> Debian is a amd64, the working Xubuntu is also a amd64).

:-)

Well, I wanted you to try to boot your current Debian installation *from*
a LiveCD (IIRC tehre is usually an option called "boot from installed
disk" or something similar) not that you tested a LiveCD. I asked this to
avoid using Ubuntu's GRUB2 and see if that way you can get any further.
That's also the reason I asked for you to try SuperGrub2Disk.

Another thing you can test is manually booting your Debian system from
GRUB2 boot menu by reaching the command line. This way if you're lucky
any error you get will be printed on the screen.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón