On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:33:22 -0700, Potato Jim wrote:

> SOLVED.

Great! :-)

> In my last response I had overlooked Sven's comment about having
> updated the wiki.  I have now looked at the updated wiki and the
> suggested new xorg.conf file did the trick -- verbatim even, and I'm
> now using the NV driver.  More precisely, I blacklisted nouveau in a
> blacklist-nouveau.conf file and created a new xorg.conf file,
> specifying the NV driver (I also re-blacklisted nvidiafb in /etc
> /modeprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf ).

Okay, so from now on you are using the "nv" driver, right?

> Camaleón and Sven, thank you both for your help!  And thanks for
> bearing with my newbie faux pas. :)

Glad you finally could solved it.

> Sven, you mentioned that neither NV nor Nvidia legacy will work
> whenever I eventually upgrade to Wheezy.  Can you suggest what I
> prepare to do?
>
> Thanks again!
> Jim

My guess is that your VGA is very old and that can be a problem.

- "NV" driver is dropped (not present) since wheezy so this won't be an
option for you.

- "Nouveau" is the new and natural replacement for the open source driver
but it can have problems with your hardware, so better if you can test it
from a LiveCD of any recent distribution to see how it goes, though
probably any error present in squeezy has been fixed in wheezy.

- "Nvidia legacy" should also work, but maybe you need to get it from
nvidia sources directly and compile by your own in the event they release
a compatible version that works with newer xorg xserver packages. More
information exposing the problematic can be found in a couple of Debian
bugs reports, e.g.:

Greetings,

--
Camaleón