Thanks for clearing this up Juan and Shawn.

I noticed I could change smbd to run in inetd mode if I flip the switch in /etc/default/samba, but I don't known how this would improve things, eventually create new drawback in cifs performance ... so I'll keep it as it is with additional smb.conf entries + daemon mode.

The server is behind a router/firewall, it should be safe as it is.