Hi,

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 02:13:37AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> ........ and it created irishceltic.iso which is 18.4 gbs big.
>
> I now want to burn this to DVD's but brassero wont do multiple DVD
> from one source, and so far, i havne't been able to do it from k3b.
>
> How do I do it in either brassero or k3b please? Or can it be done
> from the command line please?

The file that was created - an ISO image - is a 1:1 representation of
the bytes that would be burned to optical media if you managed to burn
it.  However, 18.4GB is too large for most optical media. (more on that
in a sec).

As Camaleón said, you could split the ISO file into bits using split(1)
and re-assemble in the future using cat(1), but the bits themselves would
not be useful until re-combined, so you almost certainly do not want to
do that.

Instead, first make sure you know what target size you need to hit. What
media are you writing to?  You can fit approx 600-800M onto a CD-ROM,
~4.5G onto a single layer DVD and 9G onto a dual-layer, 25G for single
layer Blu Ray and 50G for dual-layer Blu Ray.
(more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_recordable#Capacities and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_recordable)

So you could conceivably fit 18.4G of data onto a single or dual layer Blu Ray
disc, if you have the equipment to read and write them.  However, you would
most likely want to delete your ISO file and create a new one for the Blu Ray,
since you need to use a different filesystem layout (UDF instead of ISO) for
blu-rays. (I'm not sure what tools to use in this case.)

Assuming you don't have Blu Ray writing equipment, you would need to use
multiple disc of another format.  You need to divide up your files into sets
which would be burned to different discs, and generate an ISO for each.
datapacker (<http://packages.debian.org/datapacker>) is one tool that could
help you with the dividing stage. genisoimage (which you already know) produces
the images; you can then burn them using your existing tools or 'wodim' on the
command line (which I find more reliable).