Curtis Vaughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Actually this doesn't have to be just in regards to gzip, but any file
> compression application.

(gzip only compresses a single file, but this might apply to tar or
similar programs.)

> Is there a way to force the application to provide a specific
> directory structure for the files you wish to compress.
> For example: let's say I have serveral files in my home directory.  I
> want to zip them so that when someone unzips them, the directory
> structure will be for a windows system something like: c:\Program
> Files\special directory\
>
> Is there a way to do this?

Not really.  You could run your tar or whatever from the root
directory, so when it's untarred from the root directory it would have
the same directory structure.  On my system:

  cd /
  tar cvf $HOME/mumble.tar mnt/dosc/Program\ Files/special\ directory
  gzip $HOME/mumble.tar

Note that Debian packages internally do something similar (in fact,
the package is actually an ar archive consisting of two .tar.gz files,
one of which contains the actual files installed in the proper
directory layout).  But nothing stops you from unpacking the file in
your home directory, and getting $HOME/usr/bin/whatever.  In fact,
this strategy is often useful for doing things like building CD-ROM
images from a set of tar files.

--
David Maze         [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://people.debian.org/~dmaze/
        -- Abra Mitchell