On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com>wrote:

> On 5/15/2012 12:26 PM, Seyyed Mohtadin Hashemi wrote:
> > On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:30 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <
> h...@debian.org
> >> wrote:

> >> all

> >> memory
> >> user
> >> non-working
> memory,

> >> Well, it is the first time I've seen a BIOS screw it up so badly as to
> >> have someone lose 61GiB of RAM over it.

> >> We _really_ need to have that enabled by default on the Debian kernels
> >> IMO, if we don't enable it already.
> >>
> >> --
> >>  "One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring
> >>  them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond
> >>  where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
> >>  Henrique Holschuh
> >>

> > Thank you for the tips Henrique and Stan, unfortunately i don't have time
> > to build/test new kernels this week because i have to finish my thesis. I
> > will have time next week to look at it and report back the results.
>
> In that case you could simply install the latest backport kernel image
> and see if that does the trick.  Should be quick 'n painless.
>
> Add to /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports \
> main contrib non-free
>
> $ aptitude update
> $ aptitude -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
> $ shutdown -r now
>
> Should take less than 5 minutes.
>
> --
> Stan

Funny you should mention that, I did actually try the exact kernel you
mentioned yesterday - it did not go well, i got kernel panic. I didn't do
many tests because i didn't have much time, i went back to the old kernel,
and though i'm not happy with the situation the computer at least works and
i can use the CPU to do calculations.