On 14/06/12 08:28 PM, KS wrote:
> On 14/06/12 07:34 PM, KS wrote:
>> On 14/06/12 03:25 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
>>>
>>> I will second keith's suggestion to use gddrescue which has somewhat
>>> improved behavior and might work better.  I pretty much have switched
>>> to using it whenever I need to do this.
>>>

>> Running it now. Waiting to see if it works any better.
>>

> It could only read around 44GB (dd_rescue read around 52).
>
> dd'ing first two partitions now to disk.
>
> /KS

Removed the last two lines for 3rd and 4th primary partitions. And
dumped the partition table on the disk. It complained of partitions not
ending on end of cylinder.

However, all that aside, Gateway site says that to reset to factory
conditions, one has to login to Windows and then start the process from
the recovery program which reboots the machine and starts the recovery.
I haven't been able to figure out how to get that process started
without having the running Win7 partiton :(

I might actually end up giving the machine to the owner with Linux
slapped on it :p

..... searching for options now.
/KS