On Jun 20, 2012, at 1:07 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:

On 20120620_121804, Teemu Likonen wrote:
Paul E. Condon [2012-06-20 02:55:41 -0600] wrote:

On 20120620_081652, didier gaumet wrote:
Your CD, being from the "lenny=stable" era, probably attempts to
access "stable" release but it does not exists on an archive
repository. Replacing "stable" by "lenny" could do the trick

This is what must be happening. And I have no way to edit an iso image
to do the replacement, so I can't use the archive to get a working
debian installation on the box and then dist-upgrade to something more
modern.

Doesn't the expert install method allow editing sources.list?
(I'm not sure.)

It allows selecting a mirror from a long list of existing mirrors and
typing in the name of an unlisted mirror, but not editing a line in
sources.list format. In this case the built in name on the CD is
surely 'stable' and *not* 'lenny', as support or named releases was
not yet fully implemented back then. Didier reminded me of that. I
think this fact pretty is a show stopper for what I was hoping to
do. I am rethinking my goals and objectives today.

You can always use the Alt-F2 console to edit (I think nano is available) the sources.list file yourself after the choose-mirror step.

You may have to do it in /target/etc/apt as well as /etc/apt .

I haven't tried it myself, so let us know how/whether it works for you.

Rick