Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 07:30:01 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

I did not use the term "alternate" as that already has a specific
meaning in this context.
I also used "contrarian" instead of "experimental" to emphasize I'm
looking for something aimed at a different target audience.

(...)

What I would like to have:
    CLI, dial up on a full analog modem (USB connection),
WiFi connectivity, apt-offline.

Options I would likely download almost immediately:
    X11, a very simple GUI (NOT a 'desktop _environment_),
Tcl/Tk&  gnuplot (I've existing projects).

I'm not sure that I have properly understood your whole point but if
you're asking/looking for a minimal install you can go with the net ISO
(expert installer), and select a small set of components (with no desktop
pattern, only a bare base install) and after the first login, configure
your network facility and proceed with the rest of the packages you've
mentioned.

Greetings,

Yes.

At some point in my series of posts someone said I could not get a functioning minimal install using netinst.iso if internet connection [for whatever reason] was not available.