On Fri 22 Jun 2012 at 16:11:49 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:48:23 +0200, Paul Seyfert wrote:
>
> > - symbol.ttf which comes with cernroot is behaving strangely
> >   using it for displaying causes wrong displaying of non embedded greek
> >   letters.
>
> The behaviour you get is similar to mine, despite in my case the source
> of the symbol font was different than yours.

I wonder whether it is. His has "Copyright URW Software, Copyright 1997
by URW" in the file.

This font is menace on a Debian system. As both of you have found out it
needs to be put somewhere where fontconfig does not look. Examining it
with fontforge reveals the unicode values for the glyphs are incorrect.
Not that the GPL version of the same font in wine has anything to boast
about - it too suffers from an identical defect.