Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 17:05:37 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
> Hi there... Nice to read you again! :-)
>
>> I'm using the deprecated Debian Lenny with a 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem kernel
>> on an Asus P5K/EPU motherboard with a 4-cores config. I'm having,
>> already for a long time, slowness issues.
>
> How about your ram?
I have 4.0 GiB and I'm using a max of 1500 MiB with firefox and
youtube, so there's really no problem over there, unfortunately.

>> It looks like when a task is `too demanding,' everything freezes until
>> this task is completed (that would not be a problem if it was done
>> quickly, but this is however not the case).
>
> When that happens, run "top" and look for the CPU and MEM columns.
>
>> Take for example www.youtube.com. On the entry page, scrolling say 3 or
>> 4 times the mouse wheel results in such a behaviour:
>>
>> 1) scrolling a little bit in the page,
>> 2) waiting 2 or 3 (!) seconds, then scrolling the rest.
>>
>> That is, scrolling is slow and freezes for 2-3 s after having scrolled a
>> little bit. Then, it scrolls until where it had to stop.
>>
>> My HDD is not full, and I've already cleared all my temporary internet
>> files. This behaviour also happens sometimes with other applications,
>> but this is mostly the case with youtube.com on Mozilla Firefox 11.0.
>
> The first step I'd do is updating Firefox to 13.0.1 (it works like a
> charm in my lenny). But you can also run more tests, like disabling your
> add-ons and plugins (mainly flash player) and check for any improvement
> once you have turn all them off.
>
> Also, ensure you have the latest flash player plugin version installed,
> now "11.2.202.236".
Well, as I said before I just reinstalled the firefox, last version,
clean install, having removed .mozilla/* stuff, etc., and I'm still
having these issues (no add-on, as I said). Flash is up-to-date.

- --
Merciadri Luca
- --

It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.