On Jul 4, 2012, at 3:09 PM, Paul Zimmerman wrote:

Camaleón <noela...@gmail.com> wrote:

You mean you're still using ipv4 with no ipv6 support from the OS at all?

I am using an up-to-date install of Squeeze. There were several network

related updates when IPv6 was supposed to be activated. So I presume

this was an activation for Debian. Since then, certain wireless APs have not worked properly. It claims to connect and get an IP address, but there is almost no actual traffic. It can take 5 or 10 minutes to get a simple page with mostly text and very few graphics. Yet, these same IPs are as fast as

ever when you connect with a Windows machine. Which leads me to suspect that Windows automatically detects what the AP is using and adjusts, while
Linux does not.

There is a problem that sometimes occurs:

If the AP does not properly route IPv6 traffic, but does mistakenly advertise an IPv6 prefix, and some website has AAAA records (IPv6 addresses) in DNS, your browser may try to connect to the IPv6 address, causing a long time-out. Usually, it will give up and re-try the connection with IPv4, causing bursty behavior with successful IPv4 traffic interspersed with long timeouts trying IPv6.

You can test for that by temporarily disabling IPv6 entirely on your client machine as described in the website Camaleón pointed to.

Rick