On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 23:21:37 -0400
Gary Dale <garyd...@rogers.com> wrote:

> On 10/07/12 10:52 PM, Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:20:05 -0400
> > Gary Dale<garyd...@rogers.com>  wrote:

> >> Having a portable kernel is a lot simpler than trying to rescue a
> >> non-bootable machine from a live CD.
> > True - but then I can just grab a distro stock kernel before I swap
> > HDDs.
> >
> You still need to go through the aggravation of booting from a live CD
> then setting up a chroot environment just to get around the fact that
> you compiled a non-portable kernel. You wouldn't have to do any of that
> if you had just stuck with the stock kernel.

I must have misunderstood what you meant. If machine A is non-bootable,
then I need to recover using resources from machine B. But even if
machine B generally runs my custom kernel, before I pull its HDD and
move it to A, I can just add a stock kernel to B. Can you explain what
you mean here?

Celejar