http://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/

> But there are times when I wish to say at sound cloud, capture the audio
> of a file I cannot download, or capture an audio stream, or capture if the
> audio is embedded, or in a video when I do not want the video etc.
> I can do all these things as a part of audio hijack pro, which is why my
> subject line was capturing audio in debian.

quite misleading indeed, BTW this is a debian list so few people IMHO are
concerned with the "bitten apple" appl(e)ications ;-)

> After all when I first asked about installing, everything, meaning I
> suppose I could hunt through the pile, many suggested otherwise.
> so, again, is there a single program that puts all the functions into one
> place?

the wrong side of the road. every audio capture capable application can
(will) do the job, it really depends on your audio conf.
I can do this using an alsa to jack bridge and an loopback device, ie
record every sound wheter it's a youtube video or a web streaming or a
skype telephone call, etc etc...

But if you ask for audio in a long video, eg a 2h film, I would use
avidemux to "extract" the audio track, for sure...

> Thanks,
> Karen

regards
-r

--
*L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata
all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla