Hello!

Ich have a nagging problem: After loggin in throuh gdm, LC_MESSAGES is
set to a locale that is not configured, and I can not find where this
happens.

I configured (dpkg-reconfigure locales) locales for de_AT.UTF-8 and
en_US.UTF-8. Still after logging in with gdm and starting gnome-terminal
or xterm LC_MESSAGES is set to de_DE.UTF-8:

past@localhost ~ % locale
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=de_AT.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_AT.utf8
LC_TIME=de_AT.utf8
LC_COLLATE="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_AT.utf8
LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_PAPER="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_AT.utf8
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

In a linux console, everything is fine:

past@localhost ~ % locale
LANG=de_AT.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Currently gdm does not support selecting the language/locale at login,
and I miss that feature. Is there any reason why this was disabled?

Anyway, I would very appreciate if someone could explain to me what is
happening and how to get it right again.

Regards

Patrick
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at  tugraz dot at>
Student of Telematics, Graz Univ. of Technology, Austria