On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Joe <j...@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 16:44:13 +0800
> lina <lina.lastn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Checked, now only 22 80 open with 443 closed.
>> another thing is that the nmap can scan my MAC address correctly.
>> is it bad? (I guess I will feel comfortable if the MAC address is
>> hidden)
>>

> All network communication is actually based on MAC addresses, if it
> can't be seen, you can't talk.
>
> Try arp -a as root to see what other computers yours has recently
> talked to. A cache is kept to speed things up, but only for a few
> minutes, otherwise your computer has to broadcast to look up a link
> between IP address and MAC.
Thanks, packet looks for the IP address first or MAC address first?
(seems I read something before, it's a book/document written in 2001,
kinda of aged? still don't understand.)

> If you have a rainy afternoon to while away, install Wireshark and have
> a play with it. Try various network connections while a capture is
> running, and play with the filtering. One day you will need to use it
> in anger.
(Here "in anger", you implied that the wireshark was not so much fun
to play with?
just curious...
I installed but never see how can it be useful, or mainly I don't know
what/how to check among so much information it popped up.)

> Here is a fragment of a capture showing my workstation trying to find
> the server using the ARP protocol. It hasn't connected for a time, so
> the server isn't in its cache:
>
> No.  Time  Source  Destination Protocol Length Info
>
> 5 5.007111000    Giga-Byt_xx:xx:xx Hewlett-_xx:xx:xx ARP 42
> Who has 192.168.99.3?  Tell 192.168.99.101
>
> 6 5.007315000    Hewlett-_xx:xx:xx Giga-Byt_xx:xx:xx ARP 60
> 192.168.99.3 is at xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
>
> Sorry about the wrap, but email isn't designed for this sort of thing.
> Note that the first half of the MAC is a vendor ID, and Wireshark
> decodes it.

Thank you. I will do a try,

Best regards,