If this is a PowerPC iMac, you should be able to use the Debian PowerPC installer.

If so, you can install Debian Squeeze with either

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-6.0.5-powerpc-CD-1.iso
or

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current/powerpc/iso-cd/debian-6.0.5-powerpc-netinst.iso

Use the "netinst" if you expect to have broadband internet access during the installation process. If not, use the "CD-1" image. Download your iso image of choice and burn it to a CD-R; put it in the CD drive of the iMac; boot while holding down the "c" key; and follow the instructions from there.

It's probably a good idea to read the installation manual before you start. You can download it from
    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
You will want the "PowerPC" version. You have a variety of language translations to choose from if you're not comfortable with English.

Hope this helps...

Rick